About the activity
Experience the warm hospitality of a traditional family from Burma and enrich your travel as you come face-to-face with unique cultures and traditions. Feel welcomed in this beautiful home while exploring the art of traditional Karen-style cooking and make the most of your date with nature on a refreshing forest trek. Interact with the elders of the community and get insights on why these first-generation Burmese chose Andaman as their abode. Learn about their bold expeditions on this almost secluded island and make a place for them in your heart when you receive their impartial friendship – this experience is everything fulfilling and more.
About the Provider
Go2Andaman in partnership with Saw John, a descendant of a first-generation Karen family, bring to you handcrafted experiences and more. Encounter the Karen way of life – learn to cook a traditional meal, participate in their classic fishing sport, or just be a part of their everyday life. Besides opening their doors to tourist from all over the world, John’s family is known for their priceless hospitality which when teamed with our earnest service provides for an exclusive experience.
- Car: Scorpio, or Tavera, or Indica, or similar with driver
- Fishing equipment
- Boat trip to Avis Island and snorkelling gear and Community interaction session
- All three meals during the stay
- Homestay accommodation for 3 nights
- Day 1: Join the convoy and reach the Karen Homestay in Mayabundar. Post lunch head out to explore the village and interact with community members. Evening brings with it a cooking session where you learn the art of traditional Karen cooking.
- Day 2: Explore the dense forests of Andaman on a guided forest trek and save the evening for interaction with the Karen community elders.
- Day 3: Return to Port Blair
- Carry ID cards/ Passports for visiting.
- Any kind of interaction with Jarawas including taking their pictures in illegal. If ignored, the same can lead to imprisonment
- Children to be accompanied by an adult