7 Tips for finding cheapest airfare to Andamans
Your plane ticket to the islands will probably be your single greatest expense. This is mainly because the numbers of airlines that cater to Port Blair are only a few and the numbers of direct flights are even lesser. At the moment you can expect direct flight prices (One way from mainland India) to range anywhere between INR 7000 to INR 14000. Prices also go up to INR 24000 during the peak season.
That said, you still want to find the cheapest airfare possible. Here are a few things to consider while booking plane tickets –
- Season: High Season vs. Low Season vs. Shoulder season
The time of year you travel is going to have the biggest impact on ticket prices.
- High Season (October – April):It is almost impossible to find tickets under INR 7000 at this point of time specially if you book a few days before. This is when most people travel so the airlines can hike up the prices.
- Low Season (June – September):This is where you’ll find the cheapest tickets. We have purchased round trip tickets from Bangalore and back for as low as INR 5000.
- Departure Airport:Where you fly from can have a big impact on your ticket price. Now direct flights only operate from Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore and Bhubaneswar. One would assume that the tickets from these airports are cheaper. But surprisingly this is not always true. We realized this only recently. We would always travel to Chennai by bus and book tickets to Port Blair from there but have now started taking the hopping flights or prefer short layovers. It surprisingly turns out cheaper. The reason being that direct booking of direct flights is in great demand and this increases the price.
- Search Multiple Departure Dates: Plane ticket prices can vary greatly depending on when you travel. Leaving a day later or earlier could save you between INR 1000 to INR 5000. In general, traveling during mid-week will give you the best prices when compared to Mondays, Fridays and weekends. This is because a lot of people travel to Andaman for short weekend trips.
- Buy Tickets Far In Advance: For international flights you want to book as soon as possible. A month before is usually considered the bare minimum. Some people say you should book six months in advance for the best deal. I don’t think anyone really knows. Some say, waiting until the last minute can give you the best rates. But we really do not think it’s worth the risk, especially during the peak season.
- Buy Tickets After Midnight:I have heard airlines lower their prices after midnight. We have experienced this while travelling to Ladakh but not for the islands. You can give this a try too.
- Look for flight ticket sales: All large air carriers for the islands ( Spice Jet, Jet Airways, Air India) have sales where tickets can be bought for as low as INR 999. Sign up for their newsletter or mail updates to be informed about the dates of sale. This is perfect for those who have flexible travel dates!
- Cheap Tickets Are Often Nonrefundable: Cheap Tickets are often nonrefundable or there is a very high-ticket change fee. Please be aware your ticket’s terms.